We're living in a bubble that has formed itself around our little office and, outside, the glorious British summer is passing us by.
I LOVE August. It is my favourite month of the year and, in my mind, a month that should be devoted to celebrating, spending time with friends, basking in the sunshine and drinking copious amounts of Pimm's.
Okay, so we're not exactly well-placed to do any of those things at the moment (bar the Pimm's, which I'm sure I'll soon be storing behind my computer), but that doesn't mean we should forget that this a beautiful time of year and time well worth living. After all, we can kind of see some glimpses of daylight through our teeny tiny prison cell windows.
8 Fun Facts About August (only 8 - are you happy, Darshan?)
- Let's get the most important thing out of the way first - It's my birthday on the 23rd and Oswin's on the 30th. I like chocolate cake, or red velvet if you really want to branch out. Oswin like cheesecake, especially lemon. Take the (very subtle) hint, guys.
- The Anglo-Saxons referred to August as 'weod-monath' because it was the month when weeds grew quickest. WeedS. As in, unwanted plants. You went there, not me.
- 22% of Norweigan people who were named August were born in August. Original, huh?
- August is also National Peach Month. I don't really have any more to say about that.
- International Friendship Day also falls on the first Sunday of August. HAPPY FRIENDSHIP DAY, GANG!
- The zodiac signs for August are Virgo and Leo. As a bonus fun fact for you all, my birthday falls on the cusp of the two signs. I'm either Virgo or Leo, depending on which trashy magazine I'm reading.
- Robert De Niro was born in August, as was Belinda Carlisle. Heaven is a place on Earth, especially during this wonderful month.
- According to folklore, if the first week of August is warm then we're going to have a really long winter with lots of snow. So, enjoy it while it lasts, basically.
We can do this.